Reflections of 30

In birthday, Life

Today is my 30th birthday!

I’ll admit to you that I’ve had mixed emotions about this date as it’s inched closer and closer on the oft unforgiving calendar. I have wrestled with an odd sense of melancholy – a mourning for days passed, even as I celebrate some incredibly joyful moments. In a culture obsessed with youth, it’s nearly impossible not to feel a sense of loss when exiting the 20s. Watching my babies get older and wiser each day makes me want to grab them and not let them grow anymore, even as I am obviously moving forward in age, as well. It’s a feeling that can only be described as bittersweet – the perfect blend of sadness, but joy at the path of life.

Yesterday at church, however, my incredible husband preached a message that hit home so perfectly. He talked about how worry forces us to face forward while keeping us neglectful of the past. In other words, it pushes us to fear the future, while clouding our remembrance of things from our history that would otherwise serve to soothe those fears. Jason and I took a moment to do a recap of some of the highlights of my 20s last night and I couldn’t help but smile at God’s goodness.

There is no way to deny that I’m actually extremely excited about venturing into this new decade, as well. I’ve heard so many great things about the 30s from those who have entered into them before me. There is also extremely significant mentions of the age 30 in the Bible. Jesus Himself went through 3 decades of relative anonymity before beginning His earthly ministry at age 30. David began His reign as king at the age of 30. Also, it was written that Levites could not become priests until they were 30. I feel the excitement of a new season of life, and I know it’s going to be filled with even more love, joy, and promise than I have seen in my first 30 years.

Thank you all for reading this blog. Launching it has actually been one of the things I’ve found most fulfilling about my 20s. There’s more to come! Stay tuned!

Recent Posts
Showing 12 comments
  • Lorie

Enjoyed reading your birthday blog! Happy birthday, sis!!!!!

• Diana Scimone

Happy 30th birthday, Lis! You’re entering a wonderful decade and I can’t wait to see what brilliant things you do (and write!)!

Have a wonderful day, a super year, and a fantastic decade!

Love,
    Diana

• Lis Burns

This means so, so much to me, Diana! Thank you! Looking forward to working with you in the (hopefully near!) future!

• Amy @ My Friend Amy

I know we make a big deal about ages, but it’s just a way to mark the time. You’re still you, only older and wiser. I wish our culture wasn’t so youth obsessed bc I think there’s so much goodness yet to come!

Happy Birthday again!

• Lis Burns

Great perspective and I agree. Looking forward to a new decade of promise and, like you pointed out, THRIVING. πŸ™‚

• Stacy Clark

Happy Birthday!

• Tracy

Right before I turned 30, I got married, I thought things were going to be awesome with my new husband. Things didn’t turn out quite as expected. But honestly… as bad as my divorce was 5 and 1/2 years later… I am honestly glad I went through it. I can say that now. A year and a half ago… not so much. Going through that though, and finally letting go of my stubbornness and anger, I’ve found myself even closer to God than I was when I was 29. It’s been a long road and I’ve dealt with a lot. I had a lying, manipulative, husband that liked to use God as an excuse to buy what he wanted. The reason he used the excuse was because he knew I’d say no otherwise, seeing as he never had a job a day in our marriage and was using my money and his parent’s money to support us. If God told him to do it… well… who am I to argue with God? At least, that’s what his reasoning was. Now that I’m free of him, and in a much happier place, and more focused on my relationship with God, I hope to have a better end to my 30’s, because I am DEFINITELY not looking forward to my 40’s πŸ˜›

• Lis Burns

Aw, I actually hear that the 40s are where it’s at! πŸ˜‰

The beautiful thing about aging is that it allows us to find more and more comfort in our own (ever-wrinkling) skin. It helps us shed preconceptions, misconceptions, and expectations, and I, for one, am all for it! NOTHING is more exhausting that living a life that I think I SHOULD vs. just being who I AM. Age brings a nice security and perspective on that very issue, so I’m definitely enjoying that part of it.

• Tracy

It’s not so much that… it’s that with my family history… the 40’s is when their health all started to disintegrate. Multiple surgeries for various things, and then there’s the cancer. I’ve got breast cancer on both sides of my family… and that worries me. I’ve had 2 aunts die with it, and my mom is luckily a survivor. But she had the strength to go through that. I know… I don’t. Not physically anyway. Maybe emotional strength, because I have been through a divorce. But health wise… I’m quite frail. I already have enough medical problems as it is. So yeah… the 40’s kinda worry me.

• Lis Burns

That absolutely makes sense. I’m so sorry your family has gone through all of that! Awareness of your family medical history is key in catching your own health issues early on. Praying that you’ll be the one to break the cycle and see all kinds of health and fulfillment in your 40s! πŸ˜€